New Zealand Health System

New Zealand has a private and public health care system. To qualify for public subsidised care in New Zealand, you must be a citizen, resident, from a reciprocal country (Australia or the UK), or hold a work visa that is valid for two years or more from when you first arrive. If you meet these criteria, then you will be eligible for publicly funded healthcare.

If you’re on a work visa that's for less than two years, you will need to pay for own health care, as and when needed. NZDC and the New Zealand government strongly recommend that people travelling to New Zealand who are not eligible for publicly funded health services hold comprehensive travel insurance - including health insurance.

NZDC are happy to recommend an agent in New Zealand who can assist with your insurance and offers a competitive rate.

Most costs of injuries from accidents are covered by our accident compensation (ACC) scheme. New Zealand's accident compensation scheme provides 24-hour, no-fault, personal injury insurance cover. ACC provides personal injury cover for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand. This service is funded from fees and levies such as motor vehicle licensing. There is no right to sue for personal injury, other than for exemplary damages; such action is extremely rare in New Zealand.
For further information, please visit the Health Govt website on eligibility and ACC.